Friday, December 09, 2005

Foreigners in Society

I was reading an item on the BBC website regarding Muslims in Britain. It is an account of how Muslims in this particular area staff and attend a Islamic center that has religious and educational programs and the like.

Their program is a desirable one and one that is lacking in many Orthodox churches. The building opens early for prayers and has community and educational programs designed to promote people of Islamic faith into better societal positions. At least as expressed in the article, their faith is paramount and then everything else is secondary. It is not hard to want something similar for us Orthodox.

They are foreigners in western society and it is easier for them to see the deividing line between society and religion. Christian culture has had a large hand in the formation of this society, so it is harder to see the difference between our religion and society. This is part of our struggle. Although this society is not Orthodox, its roots are sufficiently close to our expression of our religion that we do not see ourselves as we should, as foreigners and merely travellers in this world.

Because of this, we (as Orthodox Christians) melt easily into society. Breaking free from this society is hard for us as it is comfortable and familiar. I desire to break free from this society and do those things necessary for my salvation and for the salvation of those around me. I need to remember I am different from those around me and that I have found the true faith. This difference is not to separate us as people, but to elevate us above common society, and to show our lights so that others may find salvation.

Whenever I tell my daughters name (which is Xenia) to someone new, and I explain to them that it means "foreigner" they look at me with a puzzled look. Foreigner is not considered a positive thing. Why would I name my daughter with a name like foreigner? I did not name her with that in mind. But more importantly I realize this is not a negative word, but an idea to live by.

No comments: