Wednesday, December 14, 2005

How could this happen?

NOTE: This is a very old post. I have not had the time or energy to post here for the last year or so. Things have changed and so I wish to continue to post my own opinions and ramblings. I started this post in December 2005. I have not edited from then, except to add a final question. -Seraphim Feb. 20, 2007

I was very saddened to come upon this article. It is about a arts performance taking place in an old Romanian Orthodox Church in Cleveland, Ohio. The article describes scenes from the "revue" like, "...a nebbishy Jesus, bitching to his Jewish mother about his lack of birthday presents..." and other such things. It made me sick to my stomach. I didn't want to believe that it was a former Orthodox Christian church. I decided to look up the address in order to find out.

What I found out made me even more nauseous. Not only was the building a former Orthodox Church, it still had its iconostasis and icons within the nave and apparently the altar and litugical garments as well. This building is being used now for entertainment, and horrendously degrading entertainment at that.

I found a real estate link and had a listing as follows:
Church, Hall and Residence!
Price: $499,900
6203 Detroit Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio 44102-3007 Neighborhood: Detroit Shoreway


A detailed listing had the following to say:
6203 Detroit Avenue
Cleveland, Ohio

Price: $499,900
Beds: 0
Baths: 0
Year Built: 1907
Floors:
Type: Residential
Status: Active
MLS: 2227925
Neighborhood: Detroit Shoreway

Prime location in Detroit Shoreway neighborhood. Beautiful historic church with new custom made doors. Icons appraised at 45k. 3 level hall space for performances and entertainment. Kitchen and bar on lower level. New bathrooms, new doors, and new interior paint! NO LEASES! House needs renovation.


What I don't understand is how could this happen? I know churches close for a variety of reasons, including loss of parishioners. But couldn't the diocese of the church prevent the sale?

My opinion is that we, as Orthodox Christians in America, should try to figure out how to preserve the churches. Or, the alternative question, should we spend our money on those who need it rather than on buildings that no longer have a purpose?

No comments: